Thursday 19 January 2012

Photography For Dummies : DIY Drybox

I always have a thing in building my own stuff aka DIY,thats the reason why most of the item in my house is from IKEA as I prefer fixing it on my own.Back to the topic,are you guys aware that the worst enemy a lens can ever have is fungus @ kulat..I never thought it gonna happen to me until my 50mm suddenly have a funky lime green foreign object on the outer part of the body..I tottally freak out and immediately clean it and google up how to build your own DIY Dry Box..as you know Malaysia is a country with rain all year long and with the humid environment fungus strive(luckily they dont have intelegence or else we're gonna be outnumbered and outruled soon) and adding up to that again,my "naaah,that wont happen to me"(refer Photography For Dummies : Worst Nightmare(External..)attitude have almost cost me my beloved 50mm which luckily I manage to save.Well what a dry box you ask?most of you already what it is but for those who dont know.This is how how it looks :




As you know dry box aren't cheap so here how to do your own dry box..

its as easy as to get :

Compulsory
1 x Container(Toyogo box,6 Litre should be sufficient)
1 x Box of Thirsty Hippo(This is for whoever is in Malaysia,anywhere else can replace it with silica gel,this ussually will come in shoe box )

Optional
1 x Hygrometer(This device measures humidity.  This can be bought at car accessory stores, DIY shop or pharmacy)
1 x soft plastic cover sheet(sort of like styrofoam)


How to assemble?You shouldnt even ask this question because you already suppose to get the idea on how to build it by now.hmm...since you want to know..


Step 1
-Open the lid of the container


Step 2 (Optional)
-cover the bottom of the container with the soft plastic foam and place the Hygrometer in place(to absorb any impact,again-optional because not all photographer will just throw their stuff instead of slowly organise it in the box and not all photographer rarely use their gadget)

Step 3
-Open the Thirsty Hippo cover and place the Thirsty Hippo/Silica gel in the box

Step 4
-Place your gadget and equipment gently

Step 5
-Close the lid(lol,damn i shouldnt even create the last 2 step,creating just for the fun of it)

Step 6
-Check from time to time whether the Silica Gel/Thirsty Hippo already maxed out(fully absorb moisture.If maxed out refer Step 7

Step 7
-Buy and replace new Silica Gel/Thirsty hippo

In my case I dont think I will need the Hygrometer as I always use my camera and fungus grow if you rarely use your gadget and this drybox is just a precaution step to avoid fungus occured again.Who would want to waste an expensive lense just because you and your lazy bum dont want to do an easy drybox right?Oh btw only after a month my Thirsty Hippo already filled up with water half full,really open my mind that moisture is really all around us..like duhhhh...lol..anyway goodluck in building 1 DIY Drybox..

No comments:

Post a Comment